Best Things to Do in Texas this Summer
Famous for its barbecues and football games, Texas thrives in the summer and has a wealth of events taking place during the season. Here are a few activities that are sure to catch your attention:
1) If you haven’t visited before now, SeaWorld San Antonio can’t be missed this summer. The immense 250-acre aquarium and theme park features numerous roller coasters, dining establishments and an arcade. You can attend frequently held shows with killer whales, beluga whales and dolphins and visit other exotic animals such as penguins, sea lions, alligators, otters and flamingos. During the summer, a number of concerts are held during the warm evening hours for your entertainment.
2) You haven’t experienced a real Texas summer unless you’ve participated in a tailgate before a Friday night high school football game. Head over to the stadium and make sure you bring your meat and beverages with you because half the fun of the game is getting excited about it with friends.
3) Make sure you hit the beach this summer. Whether you’re looking to make sandcastles or settle down under the sun with a good book, the beautiful Gulf Coast contains 600 miles of coastline and features boat shows and races throughout the summer months.
4) Garner State Park in Uvalde County is a popular site for outdoor recreation. Located on the Frio River, used for activities such as swimming and boating, the park possesses numerous trails for hiking and biking. Rental equipment is available and the site has camping facilities for overnight stays. There are nightly dances that take place during the summer and spring which can draw campers from all walks of life to participate in the festivities.
5) Blues on the Green is a free weekly music concert series that takes place every Wednesday in the summer and provides fun-filled entertainment for the public in Austin. Known for bringing the community together, the concerts provide a night of casual relaxation and good music when the sweltering heat renders it too hot to venture out during the day.
6) Rodeos are a symbol of Texas. Go see cowboys and cowgirls riding some bucking broncos. From ranch horse competitions to trade shows and petting zoos, rodeos have something that the entire family can enjoy. The Original Texas Ranch Roundup in Wichita Falls takes place in August and is one of the most famous rodeos in the state or the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, which is the biggest rodeo in the United States.
7) For the Fourth of July weekend, make your way to Addison. The town is celebrated for holding the most explosive and magnificent fireworks show in the state. Featuring multiple dining venues, an air show and live entertainment, the whole weekend will be full of American pride and great food.
8) Six Flags Fiesta Texas in San Antonio is another notable theme park, renown for both its water slides and roller coasters. Presenting numerous shows and parades throughout the season, it’s a great way to either kick off or finish up your summer in Texas.